After registering to use the forum you will receive an automatic acknowledgement followed by another email a few hours later after your application has been approved. Please check your spam box if neither email arrives. If still a problem please write to us via ‘Contact us’ above.

Experience

Every month a different subject for you to air your views
Supersonic
County Down
Northern Ireland

Experience

Postby Supersonic » 07 Oct 2017, 18:35

I'm 62 years old and have worked at Minis since I was 16 years old. Familiarity and know-how is what I know? After all I lived through this period :D

I'm one of many, love to hear your stories :)

Alan

Supersonic
County Down
Northern Ireland

Re: Experience

Postby Supersonic » 16 Oct 2017, 09:30

Floormanager wrote:can someone post a photo of the hydraulic puller? I only know the "wind the bolt" type.

Paul, next time I've the puller out will take a photograph of it for you. It is nothing like the one you posted the link for :)

Alan

Peter Laidler
Oxfordshire
England

Postby Peter Laidler » 15 Oct 2017, 18:36

2nd try....... Hydraulic pullers. My friend Steve the dentist has a gadget similar to this for pulling teeth. Just clamp the wotsit to the tooth, crank the little grease gun type handle and bobs your uncle, Almost painless he says! Could use it on my clutch. He says that it works every time and that the only thing that it hasn't got out is a wallet from a Scotsmans trousers

Floormanager
West Sussex
England

Postby Floormanager » 11 Oct 2017, 08:25

can someone post a photo of the hydraulic puller? I only know the "wind the bolt" type.

Supersonic
County Down
Northern Ireland

Postby Supersonic » 10 Oct 2017, 09:14

Rolandino wrote:I used to own an Churchill Hydraulic flywheel puller (lent it to a German friend, never got it back, so never lend your tools). Used it once to take my flywheel off an engine that I had taken out of the car. It just wouldnt come off so I left it overnight. When I came back the next day, the flywheel had come off but left a huge hole in the breeze block opposite it! Just as well I wasnt near it! Wish I had that puller back Adi....

Roli, could not agree more, never lend out tools is what I've learnt over the years. I lent my Churchill Hydraulic flywheel puller to a bloke in 1985 and he has never returned it. Good job I have another one and a good reason the tell that same bloke no more tools will be given on loan :x

Alan

Supersonic
County Down
Northern Ireland

Postby Supersonic » 10 Oct 2017, 09:08

FlameRed wrote:I'm 62 and I'll never learn :roll:

God loves a trier :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan

Rolandino
Berkshire
England

Postby Rolandino » 09 Oct 2017, 19:38

I used to own an Churchill Hydraulic flywheel puller (lent it to a German friend, never got it back, so never lend your tools). Used it once to take my flywheel off an engine that I had taken out of the car. It just wouldnt come off so I left it overnight. When I came back the next day, the flywheel had come off but left a huge hole in the breeze block opposite it! Just as well I wasnt near it! Wish I had that puller back Adi....

FlameRed
Cheshire
England

Postby FlameRed » 09 Oct 2017, 19:22

I'm 62 and I'll never learn :roll:

Floormanager
West Sussex
England

Postby Floormanager » 08 Oct 2017, 20:34

Thanks for the answers so far. I am pleased I have done in the past when I was more flexible, both new clutches and a steering rack, as well as bypass hoses. I agree the clutch was hard work. I always struggled to break the flywheel off the taper. I always wondered how BMC did it on a daily basis. Not sure if it was right thing to do but I put as much tension on the puller, then shocked the flywheel off by hitting it with a lump of wood through the starter opening!! It’s a lovely feeling when the flywheel does pop off!!

Regards
Paul

Peter Laidler
Oxfordshire
England

Postby Peter Laidler » 08 Oct 2017, 11:13

I'm surprised that Dave had a problem pull the wiring loom down - or up - the A post. I've done it several times and used one of those long coil wire spring thinggies that you used to hang net curtains on. Tape two of the thickest wires to it tight, feed the curtain wire up and gently pull it through. But better still Dave, that A post AND the B bost should be dripping with SUPERTROL 001 that you've previously liberally sprayed down into the unseen cavity - same as inside the rear C post and inside the cant rail. Then the wiring loom will run through like a sausage down the high street as they say.

The BIGGEST mistake I seem to make is forgetting the 3 factor. That it'll take 3 times as long as you expect when you do the job. Worst, no doubt about it is another featured by Worksmini! And one that ignored the 3x factor. Clamping the front exhaust band of the standard exhaust to the gear lever extension. Now follows a party political broadcast about how I tackled the same awful job. So switch off now if yours is perfect!

This really is a MUST and the reason is that unless the exhaust is properly clamped here, then you have a 3' long weld cracking vibrating pipe hanging from the exhaust manifold nuts, downwards, through 90 degrees for 3' rearwards until it's supported again. Most (?) exhaust fitters - and owners - just use this as a clamp, NOT clamped to the gearbox extension. The UNC thread in my housing was stripped - they usually are - so I thought that I could fix it in situ. Look...., believe me, there's absolutely no chance. Take the bull by the horns, remove the exhaust AND the gearbox extension and fix the thread. You can use helicoils but I bored it out and inserted a threaded steel bush internally threaded for a better UNF stainless steel 1" long bolt. Even then the new threaded hole wouldn't quite align with the holes in the clamp.

Here's the cure. Clamp the band to the housing WITHOUT the exhaust. That's simple because you can see it all. Now see where the band needs bending to shape to suit the missing exhaust. Got that? Bend to suit and when it's about right, put band onto housing and start threads making sure that before you do you have a steel spring washer fitted..., just 3 or so turns.... NOW slide the exhaust pipe OVER the manifold and UNDER the clamp band. Wiggle it rearwards until it's a perfect fit. Now refit the rest of the exhaust. Now, with the band fitted, exhaust fitted, screw started you can tighten up the band/clamp bolt.

But please, leave yourself a day to do the job. Can I suggest that regardless of whether your thread is intact or not (it won't be because it will have chattered away, believe me....) take the thread out and either re-bush or helicoil and replace the standard UNC bolt with a stainless UNF.

Return to “Discussion Point of the Month - NEW!”