After registering to use the forum you will receive an automatic acknowledgement followed by another email a few hours later after your application has been approved. Please check your spam box if neither email arrives. If still a problem please write to us via ‘Contact us’ above.

MINIs Take Over Goodwood - Nov 3rd 2017

(From 2001 to date)
MAB
London/Surrey
England

MINIs Take Over Goodwood - Nov 3rd 2017

Postby MAB » 24 Aug 2017, 09:19

MINIs Take Over Goodwood was created in 2016, by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts. Not all events are created equal. Whether you have a JCW, ONE, Cooper D, Clubman, Old, New or classic, they’re all welcome here.
https://ministakeover.com/about/

MAB
London/Surrey
England

Re: MINIs Take Over Goodwood - Nov 3rd 2017

Postby MAB » 25 Aug 2017, 14:46

Practical Classics magazine featured the early R50/R53 MINI as a bargain priced future classic worth buying recently, so perhaps the 'classic Mini' term could soon become confusing unless the capital letters are used...... :)

Article below on this very topic seen on the Honest John classics website recently.......
"So, emotions aside, is the (early) BMW MINI now a bona fide classic?"
https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/news/ ... -bmw-mini/

davidscothorn
Oxon
England

Postby davidscothorn » 25 Aug 2017, 14:06

Soon there will be as many definitions of a classic as a replica. Now I will adopt the 'Brace' position. ( red devil with horns imoji)

Island Blue
Sussex
England

Postby Island Blue » 25 Aug 2017, 12:38

davidscothorn wrote:
When I see 'classic' I always assume it means 'classic Mini' to distinguish it from 'new MINI'

When I see 'classic I always assume it means a Mk1,2,3 Mini to distinguish it from the post 1980 cars. I suppose It's all a matter of age.

Wow, this is a can of worms, when I see "Classic Mini" I think anything upto the end of Longbridge production in 2000, or is anything not on 10" wheels post-Classic? :? (1275GTs excepted)

I suppose the very first MINIs may now be on the cusp of being regarded as a modern classic car, but that's a classic MINI not a classic Mini! :geek:
"The public don't know what they want; it's my job to tell them" - Alec Issigonis

Island Blue
Sussex
England

Postby Island Blue » 25 Aug 2017, 12:31

davidscothorn wrote:Maybe a new topic, but what does that do for the environment?
The point being that as the weights, and environmental cost, increases so the MPG decreases.

The bloat is mainly down to safety, I'm not sure there's much internal space created by the increased footprint.

I remember driving the Cooper to Beaulieu when the kids were small and my wife brought them along in a Rover 75, car seats, push chair and all. We decanted the kids and push chair into the Cooper in the car park and there was bags of space, albeit no car seats, airbags or door bars and we were sitting in the crumple zone!

Issigonis would no doubt argue that the bloat is secondary safety and that the primary safety rests with the driver aided by the car's handling...

Each iteration of the modern car tends to be more economical than the last despite the bloat although it begs the question of what mpg a Mini might achieve fitted with say the latest 1 litre EcoBoost Ford engine for example?
"The public don't know what they want; it's my job to tell them" - Alec Issigonis

davidscothorn
Oxon
England

Postby davidscothorn » 25 Aug 2017, 07:40

Maybe a new topic, but what does that do for the environment?
The point being that as the weights, and environmental cost, increases so the MPG decreases.

MAB
London/Surrey
England

Postby MAB » 25 Aug 2017, 07:30

The new MK7 Fiesta just launched is 71mm longer and 12mm wider than its predecessor, its a similar story for all its supermini rivals everytime a new model is announced. The latest Ford Focus is nearly the size of an early Mondeo, the current VW Polo is now the size of a Mk1 Golf, every new model of BMW /Mercedes/Audi, etc is bigger than the last.....no designers or modern car buyers seem bothered about what Issigonis used to try to achieve with space efficient car design anymore.

Many times BMW have said that MINI is now a brand of a range of small (by modern standards cars!) and that they always considered the BMC 1100/1300 to be part of the Issigonis Mini range in all but name.

davidscothorn
Oxon
England

Postby davidscothorn » 25 Aug 2017, 07:07

When I see 'classic' I always assume it means 'classic Mini' to distinguish it from 'new MINI'

When I see 'classic I always assume it means a Mk1,2,3 Mini to distinguish it from the post 1980 cars. I suppose It's all a matter of age.

[/quote]no longer a Mini Car more the size of a series 2 Landrover][/quote]

I hear the next BMW is going to be called a MIDI, in homage to the Maxi

DavyBl
Lancashire
England

Postby DavyBl » 25 Aug 2017, 06:02

Only a slightly different tact.

I'm not sure I understand BMW's use of the word MINI or even Nissan's use of Micra, both have morphed into giants beyond the original concept! A neighbour's son visited at the weekend in a MINI 4 wheel drive, no longer a Mini Car more the size of a series 2 Landrover (without its capabilities)! I pass a Nissan Garage everyday the new Micra is bigger than the old Nissan Bluebird!

MAB
London/Surrey
England

Postby MAB » 24 Aug 2017, 20:16

Although this is mainly an event for New MINI's I believe classic Minis are also welcome to attend and a few taking part have a choice of both!

GrahamWRobinson
Itabuna, Bahia
Brazil

Postby GrahamWRobinson » 24 Aug 2017, 10:30

It clearly says MINI and not Mini but the first paragraph reproduced here by MAB and taken from the MINIS Take Over Goodwood website is slightly confusing.

MINIs Take Over Goodwood was created in 2016, by enthusiasts, for enthusiasts. Not all events are created equal. Whether you have a JCW, ONE, Cooper D, Clubman, Old, New or classic, they’re all welcome here.

When I see 'classic' I always assume it means 'classic Mini' to distinguish it from 'new MINI' but it would now appear that the word is creeping in as a description of early MINIS. Oh dear, life gets more complicated by the day!

Graham

Return to “New MINI”