AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THIS FORUM - PLEASE READ

The Mini Cooper Forum was set up in 2016 with a view to providing a discussion and information platform for classic Mini Cooper and BMW MINI Cooper enthusiasts around the world. However discussion on anything to do with the Mini/MINI has always been welcomed.

As the forum banner says it is an independent forum with no affiliation to any car club or business. In terms of operation the forum has worked well with very few problems. However it’s fair to say that the forum has not been a success. Quite why remains something of a mystery. With this background in mind we hereby give notice that a final decision as to whether the Mini Cooper Forum continues to run or is taken down will be made on or just after 30th November 2019.

If you have ideas of how the forum might be improved to attract more discussion please feel free to either post on the forum or email admin@minicooperforum.org

Graham W Robinson
Administrator
May 2019

Tony Fall's (non-works) Minis

(All about classic Minis, Mini Coopers and new MINI)
[Includes sub forum on HRCR Mini Sport Mini Challenge]
worksminis
England

Tony Fall's (non-works) Minis

Postby worksminis » 08 Aug 2017, 21:57

MN Championship and Internationals Rallies (not including lesser events or loaned works cars).

3651KW
Mini Miglia Oct 63
Dusk 'Til Dawn Oct 63
Regent Nov 63
Shenstone Dec 63 ?? entry not certain
Welsh International Jan 64
Shunpiker Feb 64
Welsh Marches Feb 64
Targa Rusticana Feb29/Mar1 64
Showers Mar 64
Express and Star Mar 64
New Bernie Apr 64
Manx May 64 (reported “in his usual car”)
Kent Jun 64
Cavendish Jul 64 (listed as Retd but actually DNS)
Car reg no not shown in several of latter entries above so 3651KW cannot be confirmed. It is popularly believed Fall used the Appleyards, Bradford (for whom he was a salesman) demonstrator with a lot of preparation/repair carried out under the “protection” of Appleyards service manager and former BMC Comps manager Marcus Chambers. Chambers moved on to become Rootes Comps manager earlier in 64 (before Le Mans). From then were the later cars under the same arrangement or his own? 3651KW a 1071 presumably.

AAK200B (1275)
Stocktonian Sep 64
Vales Sep 64
London Sep 64 ?? entry not certain
White Horse Sep 64 (note 4 major rallies on consecutive weekends!)
Bolton Oct 64
Mini Miglia Oct 64
Illuminations Nov 64
Regent Nov 64
Welsh International Jan 65
Shunpiker Feb 65
Welsh Marches Feb 65
Express and Star Mar 65
Targa Rusticana Mar 65

CAK500C (1275)
New Bernie Apr 65
Showers May 65
Kent Jun 65
Mullard Trophy Jun 65
Gulf London International Jun 65
Coupe des Alpes (International) Jul 65
Bolton Aug 65 (DNS after damage earlier)
Stocktonian Sep 65
Vales Sep 65
White Horse Sep 65
Illuminations Oct 65
Last edited by worksminis on 10 Aug 2017, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

Cooperman
The Fens
England

Re: Tony Fall's (non-works) Minis

Postby Cooperman » 15 Aug 2017, 23:17

Thanks for posting that entry list. That sure brings back memories.

My good friend and former driver Cec Offley actually owned Roger Clark's 997 Cooper for a while after Roger got his first Ford. It then gained a 1275 'S' engine & brakes and did a lot of MN events with Rob Lyall navigating. I believe it was re-shelled at some point. The Offley Brothers owned a BMC dealership in Ellesmere Port and Cec drove a Cooper 'S' I owned with me navigating on the 1989 Pirelli Marathon - well, he did until he crashed it in Italy!

worksminis
England

Postby worksminis » 15 Aug 2017, 21:56

Gulf65 Entry1.jpg

Click image to enlarge

Gulf65 Entry2.jpg

Click image to enlarge

Gulf65 Entry3.jpg

Click image to enlarge

The official entry list had a number of corrections to be made. eg. Harry Skelton (40) was in an Imp.
The one that really confuses is that the winner, R.A. Clark, ran as 64, not 6. (this was because his car had won the Scottish a couple of weeks[?] before and it's re-preparation [largely by Albert himself?] went right down to the wire. The second Cortina to carry 2ANR [after the original white one that won the 64 Scottish] was a red works spec shell, which was probably the reason it survived at all to start the Gulf. Not sure it appeared again. That 997 Cooper had some illustrious successors....

Cooperman
The Fens
England

Postby Cooperman » 15 Aug 2017, 18:39

It's a long time ago, but I do think it was Peter Marshal who was with Jake on the '65 Gulf. The results on 'Team Dan' says it was Attis, but thinking about it I think it was Peter Marshall. They finished one place ahead of Alec Lobb and me in the Cortina GT.

It's hard to remember everything exactly from 'back then', but I do remember it was one hell of a rally. Only 2 cars cleaned the road sections and some of the stages were 40 miles long. Any time lost on the stages had to be made up on the road sections to avoid further penalty and to keep within max. permitted lateness.

Virtually anything more than a minor mechanical problem meant you were out.

worksminis
England

Postby worksminis » 10 Aug 2017, 13:41

Was "Fat At" with JS on the 65 Gulf? (Entry list has Peter Marshall).

Was Chris Knowles-Fitton's S (CAK999C) pale yellow with white roof? Only ever seen black and white photos and the main shade doesn't seem to match any other standard S colour.

worksminis
England

Postby worksminis » 10 Aug 2017, 13:35

Gulf65 Damberg.jpg

HH2.jpg

Sprinzel's car at the finish of the 65 Gulf, alongside the Cortina of Jars Damberg/Fergus Sager, which was 4th I think. The Cortina carries the chrome strips of a 1500 Cortina Super rather than a GT spec. I believe the GT was not then sold in Scandanavia and the 1500 Super was homologated, so could become a full Group 2 GT (but not a standard GT). Damberg went on to drive a semi-works Renault R8 Gordini, a car largely forgotten now but a serious contender in significant numbers on the RAC in 66. Sager was better known as a co-driver to Bo Lungfeldt who won the 64 Monte on scratch in a Falcon (but we don't mention that on a Mini Cooper Forum...) and sadly was murdered for his night's takings when later making ends meet as a taxi driver in Stockholm.

Behind the Pat Moss Saab, Sprinzel holds court across the roof of his car.

(Photos: copyright "worksminis")
Last edited by worksminis on 10 Aug 2017, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

Cooperman
The Fens
England

Postby Cooperman » 09 Aug 2017, 22:17

He also did the 1965 Morecambe National in CAK and finished either 2nd or 3rd after an event long battle with Chris Knowles-Fitton in another 'S'.

The best Mini Cooper on the '65 Gulf London was 'Jake' Sprinzel/Attis Krauklis who finished 6th. At one point he ran out of brake pads near Kendal. So he drove into the service dep't of a BMC dealer and waved two £10 notes and said "This to the bloke who puts a set of pads on this Mini". It was done in under 10 minutes. £20 then was like about £400 now. That was one hell of a rally and half the finishers were Cortina GT's. Hardest event I ever did.

worksminis
England

Postby worksminis » 08 Aug 2017, 22:11

CAK500C was listed as a non-finisher in the 65 Gulf (of 18 classified finishers, only 4 were Minis) but is photographed here at the finish at the Excelsior Hotel Heathrow.

Gulf 65 CAK500C.JPG

(Copyright: "worksminis")

Return to “Competition”