AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THIS FORUM - PLEASE READ

The Mini Cooper Forum was set up in 2016 with a view to providing a discussion and information platform for classic Mini Cooper and BMW MINI Cooper enthusiasts around the world. However discussion on anything to do with the Mini/MINI has always been welcomed.

As the forum banner says it is an independent forum with no affiliation to any car club or business. In terms of operation the forum has worked well with very few problems. However it’s fair to say that the forum has not been a success. Quite why remains something of a mystery. With this background in mind we hereby give notice that a final decision as to whether the Mini Cooper Forum continues to run or is taken down will be made on or just after 30th November 2019.

If you have ideas of how the forum might be improved to attract more discussion please feel free to either post on the forum or email admin@minicooperforum.org

Graham W Robinson
Administrator
May 2019

Minis and the Gulf London International Rally

(All about classic Minis, Mini Coopers and new MINI)
[Includes sub forum on HRCR Mini Sport Mini Challenge]
worksminis
England

Minis and the Gulf London International Rally

Postby worksminis » 09 Jan 2018, 17:11

Cooperman has previously mentioned how only one Mini survived the first International version of the London Rally in 1965. (For those less familiar with it, Gulf Oil was the sponsor and the rally went nowhere near the "Gulf"). Nevertheless in 66 it had what was probably the longest run out of any UK International rally since the pre-stage days.
It is interesting to see how relatively few Minis were entered in 66 and this probably represents a turning point and the general decline in the use of the Mini at the top level of forest rallying, including the RAC Rally. Despite this, Fall was of course well on the way to winning when he destroyed works loaned DJB93B in the final stages in the Forest of Dean. Hopkirk was in works-loaned JBL495D. BMC's near victory was also not unrelated to there being some service support, whereas the works-loaned Lotus Cortinas of Clark and Elford had no service support and retired. (The Gulf then was not an SMMT recognised event for advertising and UK "works" participation was unofficial).
Another factor was the change of Appendix J for 1966. Under the old Appendix J to 31.12.65, saloon cars modified beyond Group 2 spec could run in Group3 with GT cars. Many "club" spec Minis could enter Internationals in this guise. For 66 (and until 67 events began to allow group 5/6 cars) this was no longer possible and it probably hit the Mini more than most cars.

Gulf66 Entry1.jpg

Click image to enlarge

Gulf66 Entry2.jpg

Click image to enlarge

Gulf66 Entry3.jpg

Click image to enlarge

Can anyone attach reg nos to the Minis entered? I will add those I know.

Cooperman
The Fens
England

Re: Minis and the Gulf London International Rally

Postby Cooperman » 10 Jan 2018, 00:40

The only Gulf London I did in a Mini was in 1967. I was co-driving for Malcolm New in a 1275 'S' which had been converted from dry to wet suspension.
We retired at about half distance when the suspension kept on de-pressurising itself. Never liked hydro suspension since then. All the other 3 times I did that rally I was in Mk.1 Cortinas and I was in the last car to retire on the last Gulf London in 1968 when the steering broke on the Cortina when we were lying 7th overall..

worksminis
England

Postby worksminis » 09 Jan 2018, 22:10

No.21 Brian Culcheth 7HLY? (too early for him to have had DJB92B)
No.58 Bob Eaves STF199D
No.68 John Bloxham CUK678C
No.119 Tony Davies DAD879C (as used on 66 RAC) rather than 8930PH (used on 65 RAC)? He owns DAD today.

worksminis
England

Postby worksminis » 09 Jan 2018, 17:29

Roy Johnson (with Richard Harper) was one Cooper S driver to have had an interesting rally:
Gulf66 RJRH.jpg

(copyright "Worksminis")

worksminis
England

Postby worksminis » 09 Jan 2018, 17:26

DJB93B at the start:
DJB93B.JPG

Click image to enlarge

(copyright "worksminis").

After the lengthy run out from Heathrow to Yorkshire, Tony Fall (no doubt having visited a service car) passes Roger Clark doing his own checks, almost certainly before the first stage:
66 Gulf.jpg

As Jim Porter drives Clark off to Yorkshire from the start, some idiot schoolboy stands half in the road, winding on the film in his camera. Oh, hang on, that's me...
10-Lotus-Cortina-rally-kpu383c-66-Gulf-London-1.jpg

Click image to enlarge

Return to “Competition”