After registering to use the forum you will receive an automatic acknowledgement followed by another email a few hours later after your application has been approved. Please check your spam box if neither email arrives. If still a problem please write to us via ‘Contact us’ above.

DIff cage wear

(Covers anything relevant to all models and/or years)
Floormanager
West Sussex
England

DIff cage wear

Postby Floormanager » 22 Aug 2017, 19:56

Hi all,

I am rebuilding a gearbox and diff and want some advice. I've stripped down the diff and am wondering about whether there is an unacceptable amount of wear under the planet wheel thrust washers. Attached is a couple of pics of the diff cage. Anyone got any thoughts?

IMG_2243.JPG

Click image to enlarge

IMG_2244.JPG

Click image to enlarge

Peter Laidler
Oxfordshire
England

Re: DIff cage wear

Postby Peter Laidler » 05 Oct 2017, 10:45

A bit late but I'm of the KISS school of engineers. The problem with the copper thrusts is that if they pick up steel shavings, usually the case hardening of the gears, the hard steel embeds itself into the copper and thereafter starts to act just like a lathe tool, slowly cutting away at the softer steel underneath. That's a mechanical fact of life.

I did a lot of investigation into this major problem with MGB GT V8 diffs smashing themselves apart while I had accdess to the Uni metallurgy labs and facilities at Oxford. The REASON for the problem was simple to ascertain. But the answer was more problematical. But when it came, it was simple.

If that were my diff cage, while it looks bad I might have cleaned it all out of course and tried to put the same thrust washer in place each side as a sacrificial pair and another on top, between the planets and sacrificial thrusts. Clearly I'm not doing the job, don't have one handy and don't know what the clearances are on that one. But that's what I'd have investigated first

Floormanager
West Sussex
England

Postby Floormanager » 23 Aug 2017, 18:33

Thanks Minimans, I thought as much. I was surprised how much wear is under the thrust washer, which are a soft material. I thought they would wear leaving the cage unscathed. I've found a replacement cage - shame as they are not made any more.

Thanks again,
Paul

minimans
Sonoma
United States of America

Postby minimans » 23 Aug 2017, 17:34

From the pictures I'd be looking for a replacement for that......................

Return to “General chat on Mini Cooper and Mini Cooper S”