After registering to use the forum you will receive an automatic acknowledgement followed by another email a few hours later after your application has been approved. Please check your spam box if neither email arrives. If still a problem please write to us via ‘Contact us’ above.

Breaking new ground!

(Specifically covers all MkII models built from 1967-1969)
Island Blue
Sussex
England

Breaking new ground!

Postby Island Blue » 22 Dec 2016, 13:15

Thought I would take the opportunity to make an early (first?) post.

Reminds me I really ought to say hello to my car which must be feeling neglected in the garage, still he's getting a battery charger/conditioner for Christmas so I hope he's grateful.

"The public don't know what they want; it's my job to tell them" - Alec Issigonis

rsk289
England

Re: Breaking new ground!

Postby rsk289 » 04 Oct 2018, 12:35

Firstly, hello all! Good to find an active Cooper forum again, and how nice to see so many familiar names! Thanks to floormanager for the link.

I've just posted on the MCR forum on a thread I started a while back, just to say how nice I think the JBW 'steel' alloy wheels are. They make a nice change from the Minilite look I've been living with for some years, as my car has no pretensions to be overtly sporty. Island Blue's Dunlops are nicely period, though.

Roger
Attachments
IMG_4137.jpg

Click image to enlarge

Island Blue
Sussex
England

Postby Island Blue » 15 Jun 2017, 12:34

Peter Laidler wrote: But it wouldn't be beyond the wit of a good turner to machine them to fit.

They are plastic and too small so perhaps it would! ;)

Seriously though you are probably right about having some machined up, I have seen the stickers for the centres sold separately.
"The public don't know what they want; it's my job to tell them" - Alec Issigonis

GrahamWRobinson
Itabuna, Bahia
Brazil

Postby GrahamWRobinson » 15 Jun 2017, 09:43

I recently bought a competition condenser from the Distributor Doctor. An exact copy of the original Lucas version. Well nearly. As I was buying it he told me that the latest ones they had had made needed about 2mm filing out of the distributor back plate to make it fit because the manufacturers were now working in metric not imperial! I did as instructed and it works fine but I wonder if that is what has happened with the wheel centres and why they won't fit?

Graham

Peter Laidler
Oxfordshire
England

Postby Peter Laidler » 15 Jun 2017, 09:14

They've probably made them that way so as to be non interchangeable for reasons best known to themselves. But it wouldn't be beyond the wit of a good turner to machine them to fit. If I remember correctly, with my original set, the centres were held in place with a 2BA screw through a bar and then into the rear of the wheel centre. I do remember that the cheapo sintered alloy centres had already started to 'pop'. Or better still, ask someone who has got a lathe to make a set out of stainless. It'll be a doddle. But good looking wheels I have to say

Island Blue
Sussex
England

Postby Island Blue » 14 Jun 2017, 13:06

Peter Laidler wrote:There's just something nice about those 70's Dunlop wheels. Maybe it's because they're plain and simple a colour and style that never dates, goes with any colour of car, an alloy mix that is as corrosion resistant as it gets and as tough as old boots. This all makes them easy to clean up (or restore) and look as good as new. I know it's sad, but seeing a nice set just makes my day.

Someone was obviously listening somewhere as I see they're being reproduced. That MUST say it all

Thanks, it's just a pity that the repro centres don't fit the original wheels! :x

Peter Laidler
Oxfordshire
England

Postby Peter Laidler » 13 Jun 2017, 17:59

There's just something nice about those 70's Dunlop wheels. Maybe it's because they're plain and simple a colour and style that never dates, goes with any colour of car, an alloy mix that is as corrosion resistant as it gets and as tough as old boots. This all makes them easy to clean up (or restore) and look as good as new. I know it's sad, but seeing a nice set just makes my day.

Someone was obviously listening somewhere as I see they're being reproduced. That MUST say it all

Island Blue
Sussex
England

Postby Island Blue » 29 Dec 2016, 18:06

foxy52 wrote:Nice looking period mk2... very pretty ...Happy new year foxy52

Thanks, it's far from perfect but I realised long ago that I enjoy driving it infinitely more than polishing it... :D

foxy52
England

Postby foxy52 » 28 Dec 2016, 17:27

Nice looking period mk2... very pretty ...Happy new year foxy52

Island Blue
Sussex
England

Postby Island Blue » 23 Dec 2016, 00:21

20160917_081423-1.jpg

Click image to enlarge

Pad4 wrote:Lets see a piccy then

Pad

Let's see if I can do this from my phone....

Pad4
Lancashire
England

Postby Pad4 » 22 Dec 2016, 19:56

Lets see a piccy then

Pad

Return to “MkII Mini Cooper and Mini Cooper S”