After registering to use the forum you will receive an automatic acknowledgement followed by another email a few hours later after your application has been approved. Please check your spam box if neither email arrives. If still a problem please write to us via ‘Contact us’ above.

UK pre '77 minis to be exempt MoT testing

(i.e. ALL Minis made from 1959 to date)
Peter Laidler
Oxfordshire
England

UK pre '77 minis to be exempt MoT testing

Postby Peter Laidler » 15 Sep 2017, 16:47

Seems like the pre '77 minis will be exempt from the current MoT test shortly under a new 40 year exemption ruling

Floormanager
West Sussex
England

Re: UK pre '77 minis to be exempt MoT testing

Postby Floormanager » 19 Dec 2017, 20:27

and there's was me thinking I just do not have to have a MOT again. What a palaver

davidscothorn
Oxon
England

Postby davidscothorn » 19 Dec 2017, 19:30

Below is a copy of the FBHVC Press Release

It seems to me that further advice will need to be issued, perhaps through the car clubs. For example, for VHI's, will the MOT need to be current until the first tax application is made and Form V112 completed? Can a vehicle be SORNED, then taxed earlier than it would have been?

Where will the panel of 'experts' be drawn and how will the process work? Will there be an appeal process? How will consistency of decisions be ensured between makes and models?

Will the classic vehicle insurers have something to say? What happens to a car which has been SORNED for years?
Will subsequent keepers be able to switch between categories year on year?

Etc Etc

Copy of FBHVC Press Release

18 December 2017

For immediate release

Department for Transport (DfT) Guidance on Substantial Change of Historic Vehicles.

1. The Guidance sets out the definition of a Vehicle of Historic Interest (VHI), vehicles which will, from May 2018, be entitled to be exempt from taking a vehicle (MoT) test.

2. The Guidance reflects the outcome of intensive discussions between the DfT and the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC). FBHVC wishes to express its appreciation of the open and collaborative manner in which the DfT approached these discussions.

3. In the discussions FBHVC was careful to take account of all possible members of the historic vehicle family.

4. The Guidance supersedes all previous potential criteria released for discussion by DfT.

5. The Guidance makes clear that it does not in any way affect DVLA’s registration criteria and processes which remain unchanged.

6. The Government included motorcycles in the Motor Vehicles (Tests) (Amendment) Regulations 2017. As the Guidance implements the Regulations, DfT could not accept FBHVC’s representations, based upon the requirements of the EU Directive, regarding historic motorcycles, so they are included in the Guidance.

7. Following STRONG representations by FBHVC, a vehicle may generally be a VHI if relevant changes were undertaken more than 30 years previously. This will be a rolling 30 years and replaces the fixed 1988 date previously proposed by DfT.

8. Major points of note are:

a. The process is one of self-declaration.

b. Owners will only be required to declare their vehicle to be a VHI if they wish to be exempted from an annual MOT Test.

c. All vehicles will still be able to be tested if their owners wish

d. The criteria are generic and permit changes made, less than 30 years prior to the declaration, which improve efficiency, safety, preservation or environmental performance.

e. Those vehicles registered on a Q plate, as kits or built up classics are not entitled to be declared as VHIs until forty years after they were registered.

f. For motorcycles only the criteria of Q plates, kits and built up classics prevent declaration as a VHI.

9. The Guidance refers to “a marque or historic vehicle experts”. A list will be published on the website of the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs by 30th April 2018. Vehicle owners wishing to confirm if they may declare their vehicle as a VHI, may choose to contact the appropriate nominee from this list

10. FBHVC will be explaining the Guidance in full in its first Newsletter of 2018 and as soon as possible on its website at http://www.fbhvc.co.uk.

11. Text of the Guidance is at: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... idance.pdf
Last edited by davidscothorn on 19 Dec 2017, 20:57, edited 3 times in total.

Floormanager
West Sussex
England

Postby Floormanager » 19 Dec 2017, 18:11

Still not sure what I am supposed to do. My car tax runs out at the end of April 18. My MOT expires on 14th May 18. How do I declare the car as a VHI? I thought it already was with the zero rated car tax??

Paul

davidscothorn
Oxon
England

New guidance from FBHVC

Postby davidscothorn » 19 Dec 2017, 10:57

11. Text of the Guidance is at: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... idance.pdf

davidscothorn
Oxon
England

Postby davidscothorn » 13 Dec 2017, 21:06

http://www.sebringsprite.com/latestnews.html

On another subject, I have just received the latest copy of the FBHVC Newsletter and thought the following quote would be of interest...
"We are aware that many people have been confused by the potential use of existing DVLA rules, which is not now going to happen, into thinking this change relates to registration. May I emphasise most strongly that it does not. This is not only our view but is shared within DfT and DVLA. The worst thing that can happen to a historic vehicle which does not qualify as a VHI is that it has to undergo an MoT.”
It seems that not all modified vehicles will be Vehicles of Historic Interest, but they are "moving towards a fairly generic description of a substantial change, which will have the effect of meaning most historic vehicles will qualify."
And, "The Federation has agreed to be the custodian of an approved list of experts and we will be working to create a fair and equitable method of accession of experts onto the list." So to me that implies that if one is in doubt about the extent of one’s modifications, then consulting an expert may simply result in a modified car not being classed as a VHI but will still be a historic vehicle, albeit one requiring an MoT

davidscothorn
Oxon
England

Postby davidscothorn » 16 Oct 2017, 09:56

I wonder who is doing this. It sounds to me like an outsourced contract. I have heard of a company ''S??'' but do not know whether they are an arm of DVLA, (an Agency of an Agency!) or an independent contractor.

Supersonic
County Down
Northern Ireland

Postby Supersonic » 16 Oct 2017, 09:42

davidscothorn wrote:More from 'sebringsprite.com'

https://www.heritagecarinsurance.co.uk/ ... -prove-it/

Thanks for posting this David very interesting stuff.It looks as if car clubs are now not being asked about the latest vehicle inspections. I’ve a friend a founder member of the Landcrab Owners Club and he had a vehicle checked recently by DVLA officials. The vehicle in question was an Austin 1800 and the DVLA established that he owned two other vehicles the same make and colour. When they called they requested to see the other two vehicles which was not a problem. Maybe it is not a bad thing that car clubs will no longer be able to validate cars that have turned up out of the blue after years in storage. :)

This was a completely genuine vehicle which was validated by the DVLA Inspector and the V5c was issued the following week :D

Alan

davidscothorn
Oxon
England

Postby davidscothorn » 13 Oct 2017, 20:16

davidscothorn
Oxon
England

Already found on Ebay. Not a Mini

Postby davidscothorn » 09 Oct 2017, 15:28

YOU COULD KEEP THIS UNTIL NEXT