After registering to use the forum you will receive an automatic acknowledgement followed by another email a few hours later after your application has been approved. Please check your spam box if neither email arrives. If still a problem please write to us via ‘Contact us’ above.

UK pre '77 minis to be exempt MoT testing

(i.e. ALL Minis made from 1959 to date)
Peter Laidler
Oxfordshire
England

UK pre '77 minis to be exempt MoT testing

Postby Peter Laidler » 15 Sep 2017, 16:47

Seems like the pre '77 minis will be exempt from the current MoT test shortly under a new 40 year exemption ruling

davidscothorn
Oxon
England

Re: UK pre '77 minis to be exempt MoT testing

Postby davidscothorn » 13 Dec 2017, 21:06

http://www.sebringsprite.com/latestnews.html

On another subject, I have just received the latest copy of the FBHVC Newsletter and thought the following quote would be of interest...
"We are aware that many people have been confused by the potential use of existing DVLA rules, which is not now going to happen, into thinking this change relates to registration. May I emphasise most strongly that it does not. This is not only our view but is shared within DfT and DVLA. The worst thing that can happen to a historic vehicle which does not qualify as a VHI is that it has to undergo an MoT.”
It seems that not all modified vehicles will be Vehicles of Historic Interest, but they are "moving towards a fairly generic description of a substantial change, which will have the effect of meaning most historic vehicles will qualify."
And, "The Federation has agreed to be the custodian of an approved list of experts and we will be working to create a fair and equitable method of accession of experts onto the list." So to me that implies that if one is in doubt about the extent of one’s modifications, then consulting an expert may simply result in a modified car not being classed as a VHI but will still be a historic vehicle, albeit one requiring an MoT

davidscothorn
Oxon
England

Postby davidscothorn » 16 Oct 2017, 09:56

I wonder who is doing this. It sounds to me like an outsourced contract. I have heard of a company ''S??'' but do not know whether they are an arm of DVLA, (an Agency of an Agency!) or an independent contractor.

Supersonic
County Down
Northern Ireland

Postby Supersonic » 16 Oct 2017, 09:42

davidscothorn wrote:More from 'sebringsprite.com'

https://www.heritagecarinsurance.co.uk/ ... -prove-it/

Thanks for posting this David very interesting stuff.It looks as if car clubs are now not being asked about the latest vehicle inspections. I’ve a friend a founder member of the Landcrab Owners Club and he had a vehicle checked recently by DVLA officials. The vehicle in question was an Austin 1800 and the DVLA established that he owned two other vehicles the same make and colour. When they called they requested to see the other two vehicles which was not a problem. Maybe it is not a bad thing that car clubs will no longer be able to validate cars that have turned up out of the blue after years in storage. :)

This was a completely genuine vehicle which was validated by the DVLA Inspector and the V5c was issued the following week :D

Alan

davidscothorn
Oxon
England

Postby davidscothorn » 13 Oct 2017, 20:16

davidscothorn
Oxon
England

Already found on Ebay. Not a Mini

Postby davidscothorn » 09 Oct 2017, 15:28

YOU COULD KEEP THIS UNTIL NEXT
MAY THEN USE IT WITHOUT MOT
AS THE NEW LAWS ON 40 YEAR OLD
VEHICLES !!

GrahamWRobinson
Itabuna, Bahia
Brazil

Postby GrahamWRobinson » 26 Sep 2017, 12:20

Turning this whole question on its head doesn't the answer lie within an MoT test? Rather than the DVLA cutting back on them perhaps the way a test is conducted needs to be expanded. It could even fall into a two part test, part A being optional for some vehicles and part B being compulsory.

Part A is what we now have with some vehicles being exempt from the test because of their age. That could stay as it is or even be developed as they are now doing with the pre '77 vehicles. It's the test that has been around for many years and checks that the vehicle is safe to drive.

Part B would be something completely different and new. As I understand it currently when a vehicle is being tested the computer at the testing station is hooked up to the main DVLA computer in Swansea. The authorised tester is given information on his screen about the vehicle he is testing. He is even checked in real time as to how long he has taken to complete the test. If he doesn't take long enough the DVLA want to know why! However that's a side issue. I'm suggesting that the tester is given additional questions about the vehicle that he must answer. After all he is as well placed as many to give the answers. It is a visual inspection and not a mechanical test of major components, emissions, etc. These will include some of the things being discussed in this topic here on the forum. If the answers given don't tally with the details of the vehicle that the DVLA have on the system then it triggers a response from the DVLA to get satisfactory answers to the questions posed. Thinking further on this, technology is such now that the tester could easily take a photo or a couple of photos of the vehicle that then get uploaded onto the DVLA computer. Dramatic changes to the spec of the vehicle would be flagged up at any subsequent MoT test if the photos didn't agree. By the way I'm not telling you exactly how the photo thing would work, I'm just floating the idea. At the end of the day it might not be feasible but if we now have face recognition and number plate recognition, why couldn't we have vehicle recognition?

Graham

Peter Laidler
Oxfordshire
England

Postby Peter Laidler » 26 Sep 2017, 09:24

I say let sleeping dogs lie or don't needlessly rock the boat. The time for boat rocking was BEFORE the variation to the legislation was introduced. I's here so you just gotta live with it! Anyone who wants to get their car tested and spend £45 on a worthless in fact and law MoT test can feel free to do so. And good luck to them. This variation in legislation is not about car ringers. Fraud and deception is a matter for the Police and anyone who knows of such cases could report them if they felt so inclined.

I am quite happy with the No Tax and No Mot status of my old Mini. And incidentally, while we're here and talking of ringers - or supposed ringers and fraudsters - my 2001 Rover Mini has a 1931 Surrey reg number.

If you REALLY want to get uptight about totally undecipherable legislation changes, ask me about SORN - when the car isn't even in the Country!

davidscothorn
Oxon
England

Postby davidscothorn » 26 Sep 2017, 09:00

Alan,
Can we please steer clear of these 'allegations'?
As with the Mk1 Forum, we all know the topic may get pulled.

Supersonic
County Down
Northern Ireland

Postby Supersonic » 26 Sep 2017, 08:52

The best example one can use to highlight this problem is the 1959-2000 Mini. I’m in agreement with what Graham has said, the DVLA are to blame 100% Just look at the number of Rover Minis on early logbooks to avoid paying the road fund licence. Then look at the number of Cooper S cars that have been recreated from nothing more than a logbook and ask yourself are the DVLA on top of this problem and the answer will be No! We all know car clubs cannot be relied upon to be honest brokers. One club I know is very happy to endorse ringers and in fact a number of that club’s committee allege they own genuine ex-works cars when in fact the world and their dog know these cars are indisputable fakes. The DVLA should be warned sooner rather than later that clubs cannot be relied upon to be honest brokers given the conduct of some :(

Alan

GrahamWRobinson
Itabuna, Bahia
Brazil

Postby GrahamWRobinson » 25 Sep 2017, 19:48

Rolandino wrote:Look at the number of "ringers" where the car is visibly a late car but has early plates.

I agree. Quite simply the system is at fault, and by the system I mean the DVLA. They are working to the laws set out by parliament and very often to rules they themselves have laid down. If they are policed in such a way that a guy can come up with a vehicle that is not in truth what it is supposed to be who do you blame, the guy for doing it or the system for allowing it? For me it's the system every time. We are seeing the flouting of the laws or rules all the time now and in all manner of ways, many that you will already be aware of. It's time for a big shake up and it's only the DVLA that can do it. They have relied too much on individuals and car clubs to be honest and as we now know they haven't always been.

Graham

Return to “Chat here about anything to do with ALL Minis”