After registering to use the forum you will receive an automatic acknowledgement followed by another email a few hours later after your application has been approved. Please check your spam box if neither email arrives. If still a problem please write to us via ‘Contact us’ above.

What did you do to your Mini today ?

(i.e. ALL Minis made from 1959 to date)
scrumpix
England

What did you do to your Mini today ?

Postby scrumpix » 22 Dec 2016, 20:33

True rock and roll here. Put a new air freshener in. :lol:

Floormanager
West Sussex
England

Re: What did you do to your Mini today ?

Postby Floormanager » 24 Feb 2018, 16:47

Got my S Engine back from SMMC and started to aquaint it to its rebuilt gearbox :D
IMG_2788.JPG

Click image to enlarge

IMG_2789.JPG

Click image to enlarge

IMG_2791.JPG

Click image to enlarge

Attachments
Capture.JPG

Click image to enlarge

Floormanager
West Sussex
England

Postby Floormanager » 06 Feb 2018, 07:24

About time!!! :lol:

Island Blue
Sussex
England

Postby Island Blue » 05 Feb 2018, 08:50

Yesterday the new battery was fitted and after quite a few pulls he started. Took advantage of some bright, dry weather to go for a short spin and pick up some fresh fuel. All was well although a tune up is overdue!
"The public don't know what they want; it's my job to tell them" - Alec Issigonis

Island Blue
Sussex
England

Postby Island Blue » 01 Feb 2018, 19:31

Well I haven't done anything to it yet but this arrived yesterday so normal service can be resumed shortly.

20180131_235305.jpg

Click image to enlarge

"The public don't know what they want; it's my job to tell them" - Alec Issigonis

Peter Laidler
Oxfordshire
England

Postby Peter Laidler » 15 Nov 2017, 20:10

A bit more mundane from here in Abingdon. Got 3/4" AF stainless steel hex bar, cut it to 20 short lengths and started to make a set of stainless wheel nuts, plus a spare set, for the Dunlop D1's I picked up cheap a while ago. Almost finished. Spent the Summer doing a zillion jobs on the trusty S. Haven't been a real engineer for years but really enjoyed getting back on the bench after a 60's real mech engineering apprenticeship. Whole front and rear hydro suspension and drive train rebuilt

I know that you're going to laugh, but without doubt, the very best stuff for seating rubber and fixing it over brackets etc etc is KY Gel from the chemist

Island Blue
Sussex
England

Postby Island Blue » 13 Nov 2017, 13:18

Island Blue wrote:
Floormanager wrote:Haha! I managed to punch myself in the face and fall on the bonnet when I put mine on. Had the bracket in the vice and was pulling the bump stop on with all my might, but it slipped off and I went flying! Glad you dot them on; when are they ACTUALLY going on the car??

Well it might have been tomorrow but what with only having three quarters of a set that's now a bit delayed!

Pleased to report that I received a reply from Somerford this morning promising to have the correct part out to me today by first class post.

We all make mistakes and (provided the mistake is not significant and/or one of many) I measure companies by how they apologise and rectify the situation rather than simply because they got something wrong. Thumbs up for Somerford on this one. :)

Island Blue
Sussex
England

Postby Island Blue » 11 Nov 2017, 23:13

Floormanager wrote:Haha! I managed to punch myself in the face and fall on the bonnet when I put mine on. Had the bracket in the vice and was pulling the bump stop on with all my might, but it slipped off and I went flying! Glad you dot them on; when are they ACTUALLY going on the car??

Well it might have been tomorrow but what with only having three quarters of a set that's now a bit delayed!

Floormanager
West Sussex
England

Postby Floormanager » 11 Nov 2017, 20:21

Haha! I managed to punch myself in the face and fall on the bonnet when I put mine on. Had the bracket in the vice and was pulling the bump stop on with all my might, but it slipped off and I went flying! Glad you dot them on; when are they ACTUALLY going on the car??

Island Blue
Sussex
England

Postby Island Blue » 11 Nov 2017, 17:40

Decided it was time to assemble the competition bump stops for Ron's S.

From previous experience I knew we would need something to hold the bracket while we forced the rubber over it with plenty of washing up liquid. I made a "jig" out of some pieces of wood which enabled me to stand with one foot either side of the bracket with the jig on the floor and we set to with a bowl of hot water to heat the rubber and a hot air gun to heat the bracket. After much struggle and increasing amounts of effort and swearing we had got nowhere. We then consulted the internet and inspected my car to make sure we were trying to fit them the right way up which we were...

We then resorted to increasing the heat and Simon finally tasted victory as there was a satisfying pop and the bump stop was secure on the bracket.
20171111_161620.jpg

Click image to enlarge

Having discovered the knack we had the next two on in no time and came to the last one. As it was the second rear bracket I prepared to adapt the jig to accept the reverse pattern of bracket only to discover it was identical to the first! :x
20171111_164108.jpg

Click image to enlarge

So I have asked the nice people at Somerford to send me the correct bracket to make a pair!

Floormanager
West Sussex
England

Postby Floormanager » 21 Sep 2017, 18:55

nope, I read I might have to open up the casing hole at the bottom to get the pipe through so I've decided no.

Return to “Chat here about anything to do with ALL Minis”