After registering to use the forum you will receive an automatic acknowledgement followed by another email a few hours later after your application has been approved. Please check your spam box if neither email arrives. If still a problem please write to us via ‘Contact us’ above.

Alec Issigonis Way Unveiled

(i.e. ALL Minis made from 1959 to date)
MAB
London/Surrey
England

Alec Issigonis Way Unveiled

Postby MAB » 15 Aug 2017, 22:39

Back in 2011 I noticed that there was a road named "Alec Issigonis Way" in the Oxford Business Park on the former site of the Morris Motors factory in Cowley, Oxford OX4 and opposite the Oxford MINI Plant. However there was no road sign, so with the help of local Oxford Mini enthusiast Tanya, the Business Park and BMW a sign was installed in 2012 and officially unveiled!

My photos of the late John Sheppard (The man who drew the Mini as part of Alec Issigonis's design team) carrying out the official unveiling cermony with local Cowley, Oxford East MP, Andrew Smith, Wayne Morse of MINI, a 1959 Cowley built Morris Mini-Minor and a 2012 MINI Roadster built at the Oxford Plant across the road.

John Sheppard with 1959 Morris Mini-Minor and 1950 Morris Minor both designed by Alec Issigonis

Alec Issigonis Way is in the Oxford Business Park built on the site of the old Cowley Plant's North Works.

AROnline:
Issigonis honoured in Cowley
http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2012/07 ... in-cowley/

GrahamWRobinson
Itabuna, Bahia
Brazil

Re: Alec Issigonis Way Unveiled

Postby GrahamWRobinson » 17 Aug 2017, 17:42

The penny has just dropped with me. So that's what they mean by a Turin assembly!

Graham

Island Blue
Sussex
England

Postby Island Blue » 17 Aug 2017, 17:00

scrumpix wrote:I think a visit is required to add to what I call the spiritual homes of the Mini.
Cooper Garage Surbiton . Turin Italy
... that bend on the country lane with the bump in it where if you get enough speed and the correct angle of approach you can get your passenger's head to hit the roof...
"The public don't know what they want; it's my job to tell them" - Alec Issigonis

scrumpix
England

Postby scrumpix » 17 Aug 2017, 14:38

I think a visit is required to add to what I call the spiritual homes of the Mini.
Cooper Garage Surbiton . Turin Italy

Return to “Chat here about anything to do with ALL Minis”