AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THIS FORUM - PLEASE READ

The Mini Cooper Forum was set up in 2016 with a view to providing a discussion and information platform for classic Mini Cooper and BMW MINI Cooper enthusiasts around the world. However discussion on anything to do with the Mini/MINI has always been welcomed.

As the forum banner says it is an independent forum with no affiliation to any car club or business. In terms of operation the forum has worked well with very few problems. However it’s fair to say that the forum has not been a success. Quite why remains something of a mystery. With this background in mind we hereby give notice that a final decision as to whether the Mini Cooper Forum continues to run or is taken down will be made on or just after 30th November 2019.

If you have ideas of how the forum might be improved to attract more discussion please feel free to either post on the forum or email admin@minicooperforum.org

Graham W Robinson
Administrator
May 2019

Where do you draw the line on originality? Cast your vote!

(i.e. ALL Minis made from 1959 to date)

What sort of Mini owner are you? Cast your vote!

Category 1 - Anything goes as long as the driving experience is improved.
No votes
Category 2 - I prefer that my Mini sticks to the original specification.
7%
Category 3 - My preference lies somewhere between Category 1 and Category 2.
93%

Total votes: 15

GrahamWRobinson
Itabuna, Bahia
Brazil

Where do you draw the line on originality? Cast your vote!

Postby GrahamWRobinson » 03 Feb 2017, 20:21

I’ve asked this question before on another forum but where do you draw the line on originality? As I see it there are three types of Mini enthusiast.

Category 1. Those whose main interest is in driving the car to get the most out of it. What the car then looks like isn't of too much concern as long as the end result is a better driving experience as far as they are concerned. If that means putting in a bigger engine, fitting larger wheels, ditching the old points distributor for an electronic one, lowering the car, fitting uprated suspension, etc., etc, then they make those changes.

Category 2. At the other end of the scale and this is the second category, what the car looks like is paramount. What you can see and what you can't see HAS to be as near as damn it as it was when it left the factory. This sort of car is primarily for display at car shows, for entry into concours competitions and even for display in a museum. The driving experience doesn't really come into it. That's not to say that the car isn't driven but the clock doesn't show many miles each year.

Category 3. (A combination of the above) Those who want the best of both worlds. They want the car to look right, to look original. Whether it is or not isn't that important to them. As long as the impression is that it is original they are happy. However they also enjoy driving the car and pushing it a bit on the odd occasion.

We are all different. Live and let live. Who is to argue how you spend your money? You spend it in the way that suits you. OK, so where do you spend your money? Which category of ownership do you fall into? How about a poll to find out? Of course you might like to offer your own thoughts on originality.

Graham

Nick
Stoke-on-Trent
England

Re: Where do you draw the line on originality? Cast your vote!

Postby Nick » 12 Feb 2017, 15:28

Category 3 for me as well.
Where do folk stand on a hydrolastic car converted to dry? is this a modification too far ?
Is it as fundamental as changing the engine type ?
What are your thoughts ?

Nick :)

Cooperman
The Fens
England

Postby Cooperman » 12 Feb 2017, 14:15

Like most on here, I am strongly with the 'period modifications only' group.
I test drove a Mini with a 1.8 Honda V-Tec and it was simply horrible. Sure, it was blisteringly quick in a straight line, but it didn't feel like any sort of Mini I have ever driven, and I have driven a huge number since 1961. If it hasn't got an A-Series engine it is no longer a Mini.
I wonder why there is a small cult who want to fit modern engines into the classic Mini. I mean, you don't get people fitting 3-litre BMW diesel engines into E-Type Jags or Ford Zetec units into Healey 3000's.

minimans
Sonoma
United States of America

Postby minimans » 11 Feb 2017, 21:16

I like original mini's, not necessarily 100% factory original but with period modifications. The Vtec's and other engine swops do nothing for me, once you lose the 'A' Series engine it stops being a mini and becomes a custom hot-rod, an altogether different breed. If you can find original tuning parts then even better! I'm building a 1960 with an Arden 8 port to me it's still an original mini, all original body work not even flares if I can get away with it. So it will look completely stock with a bit of get up and go.

Supersonic
County Down
Northern Ireland

Re: Where do you draw the line on originality?

Postby Supersonic » 04 Feb 2017, 12:13

I'm also somewhere between 1 and 2, I like my cars original with a few period modifications with engine upgrades. Even my BMC 1300s have engine upgrades but everything else is standard :D :D

Alan

ADO50
England

Postby ADO50 » 04 Feb 2017, 10:24

I do believe that modern good quality tyres such as Yokohama A008/A032R or Dunlop SP R7 really enhance the classic 10 inch wheel Mini driving experience especially if you drive with a little or perhaps a lot of joie de vivre.

I had the opportunity to try an S on the new but old style 145 x 10 Dunlop Aquajet and it let me know how much better the above tyres are. Even if I had a really nice original Cooper or S I could not fit old style rubber because the driving experience is so compromised.

Daz1968
Dudley
England

Postby Daz1968 » 04 Feb 2017, 08:17

I am somewhere between 2 and 3, I want original parts on my car but also want a few in period modifications,
Not intending to use it a lot, probably about 1000 miles per year when complete.

DavyBl
Lancashire
England

Postby DavyBl » 04 Feb 2017, 07:23

I think a lot depends on what you want and get out of mini ownership. These days I'm more for originality with a few subtle mods and indeed that's what happened back in the days when the car was new. Personally too I see my cars as an investment, something that my children might draw on, its better than money in the bank.

Of course on the modifying scene things can range from subtlety to outrageously appalling as a troll through ebay will reveal. Sometimes it is the reason that they are for sale and sometimes they are beyond rectifying. There is a danger too that models and limited editions just disappear into oblivion or incarnate into something hideous and no one else wants. This can be seen in the cafe racer scene (subtle I know) that results in period 850's disappearing forever. In the other extreme, the popular 16v (or like) in a clubman has seen the decimation of 1275GT's and then they end up in the for sale columns.

To an extent somebody has to preserve standard cars otherwise we will have obliterated history!

cheleker
Seattle, WA
United States of America

Postby cheleker » 03 Feb 2017, 21:51

Tough to answer! Depends upon which Mini of the ones I own. They would be split between 2 and 3.

Return to “Chat here about anything to do with ALL Minis”